A cup of hot milk and a blanket is what u want in these chilli winters.. Lets make milk fun for kids and adults in family this season.. These variety of milk will definitely sooth u and also help in keeping you away from cold and flu. Some will also help increase immunity in kids..
1. Hot turmeric milk – We all are aware of the benefits of turmeric , but when you add few more ingredients to this it boosts up the taste.
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fennel seeds(saunf)
2 pinch black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
Bring the milk to boil and let in simmer for about 15 mins on medium flame. Strain it using a filter and your milk is ready.
2. Ginger milk – Ginger is a very common spice in our indian kitchen but when added to milk it enhances the taste and aroma of the milk. It also helps in fighting flu and cold and really good for digestion.
2 cups of milk
10 gms fresh ginger
1 tsp sugar
1st boil the milk and then grate the ginger. If the milk is not boiled properly chances are there to get it spoilt. let it simmer for say 10 mins on medium flame. The milk will reduce to 3/4th of the quantity. Strain it with the filter and you are ready with your yummy milk.
My daughter loves the spicyness in the milk so do try it with your kids.
3. Kesar Milk – Saffron or kesar (what we usually call it) in our indian kitchen is very expensive spice but few strands or a pinch of it can do wonders.. We very often use it in our indian sweets and delicacies and kesar doodh is a popular delicacy of many places in india during winters .
Its one of the easiest recipe to prepare and even looks elegant when you have guests at home.
1-2 strands of kesar are sufficient for 2 cups of milk. But to make it even more richer, healthier and full of nutrients u can add nuts to it.
10-15 strand of kesar
20 gms almonds
10 gms cashew
5 gms pista
1 tsp sugar
U can grind all these together and make a powder and store it in an air tight container. You can easily store it for a week. Jus add 1/2 spoon of mixture to 1 cup of milk and boil it for 5 mins. Your nutritious and healthy milk is ready.
4. Dates Milk – Dates are very high on fiber and a natural sweetner , so you need not add sugar to this milk.
2 cups of milk
5-8 fresh dates
Wash and peel the dates and remove seeds. Chop them into small slices so that they are easy to drink or eat. Add the chopped dates to boiling milk and simmer it for 15-20 mins. Reduce the milk to half .
You can also make it with dried dates , but u have to soak it in water for 1 hr.
5. Anjeer milk – Anjeer/ Fig again has very high fiber content. It helps in digestion and prevents constipation, when mixed with milk it becomes a great combination for nutrition. It also has natural sweetness so no need of adding sugar.
2 cups of milk.
Just wash and directly put anjeer to boiling milk. If giving it to your kids , you can chop it or slice it into small pieces. Let the milk simmer and come to half.
6. Munnaka Milk– Some also call it Big kishmish. It is very good for heart and helps a lot in dry cough.
pinch of black pepper
1 cup milk.
Soak the munnaka in water for 1 hr. Remove the seeds and put it in boiling milk. add pinch of black pepper to it. let it simmer for 5 mins. Milk is ready to drink.
These are few benefits i have quoted for these hot and yummy milk recipes. But they are packed with lots and lots of nutrition. Say yes to homemade food. You can add them to your daily routine in winters and keep cold away from you and your family.